Friday, December 24, 2010

Mile Markers

There are certain moments in everyones life that have a profound effect on shaping who they will become in the future. These moments are mile markers on the the winding highway of life.

Your asphalt might lead you through beautiful valleys only to turn a switchback corner onto a desolate stretch of road with only the horizon in sight. But you can trust that along the way, there will always be solitary metal or wooden signs skirting the road that will act as breadcrumbs to remind you of where you came from.

My earliest, most significant crumb came in a shape of a thick brown paper square, it felt sturdy and smooth, the artwork was abstract and almost childlike and it sounded, my gosh it sounded like a stand-up bass and a weeping cello. It sang about the misconceptions, tribulations and harsh honesty of a floundering relationship.

What I am to you, you do not need.
What I am to you, is not what you mean to me.
You give me miles and miles of mountains, and i'll ask for the sea.
Damien Rice's album "O" changed my life at the age of 13. The song volcano sank me deep into a solitary space of beauty and wonder. Being too young to fully understand the intricately woven poetics of the songwriting, I was simply drawn to the raw melancholic honesty. The easiest way I could ever explain the experience was that the music spoke to me in a language that I neither fully understood, nor needed to understand.

Each track off the record is an earth shattering emotional blow directly to the center of your soul. & 7 years later, the sound of the timid oboe opening on "Cheers Darlin' " still makes me yield control of what I am doing - only to make me close my eyes and smile.

This record also gracefully introduced me to the smoky, soft voice of Lisa Hannigan. In a seemingly perfect marriage, Damien and Lisa vocals have a undeniably magic to them.

I am still dumbfounded and left speechless at the effect that music has on me. Ok Go's lead singer, Damian Kulash said it best

"Music was the perfect bottling of lightning: A powerful experience could be packaged in plastic and then bought and sold."

I can't say that this record will have or has had the same effect on you, only you can feel what makes your soul ache in the most perfect way. I am just forever thankful for the time, effort, heart and soul that was generously poured into this work of musical art. I would not be who I am today if it weren't for that solitary mile marker.

Peas & Luhv,

Brie


*This rambling of my brain was inspired by the music and grace of Amy Seeley, who's beautiful song "Mile Marker" is linked at the beginning of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment