Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Let Me Clean My Teeth, And I'll Be Right Down

Yet again, the desire to blog has taken over when in reality I should be acting studiously and writing my Women Studies paper.

This time I bring to you a Kelowna bred, three-piece band called We Are The City. Three best friends make up this splendid progressive-indie rock band. They are - Cayne McKenzie on vocals and keys, David Menzel on guitar and Andy Huculiak on drums. While reading this blog I encourage you to Google them but please, don't dare let yourself be fooled by their fresh and young faces. Their debut CD In A Quiet World is a pleasure to listen to from track 1 to track 11 and has a maturity and cohesiveness to it that a first glance might not give away.


I had the absolute pleasure of seeing Aidan Knight and We Are The City perform this past Wednesday at The Gateway. A venue not new by any means to Aidan {Who has played here 6 times!} I was rendered speechless by the end of the night. Not a simple task if you ask any of my friends. The piano, drums, vocals and guitar are woven together intricately. Each melody feels brand new, but like it's just what you expected. Even with a crowd of only 20 or so people, both performances were beyond words.

Andrew, Cayne and David are so incredibly talented it makes me shiver! They are so rehearsed and in sync with each other. Maybe it has something to do with 9 hour van rides across the prairies, but either way it makes for the most incredible live show I have ever seen. And not to mention that the three of them are the nicest and most humble guys you will ever meet.

So, if you ever overhear of a We Are The City show taking place close to you, do me a favor. Hell, do yourself a favor and grab a handful of music loving friends and get your little keisters to that show. I guarantee that you will not be disappointed and leave with at least a smile on your face and a high five.

Peas & Luhv,

Brie

No comments:

Post a Comment