Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Ninety Three Kilometres


93 Km is roughly the distance from Calgary to Canmore. More specifically, to the Communitea Cafe.

The highway was paved with a darker shade of black thanks to the afternoon rain, but the cold precipitation wasn't about to dampen my spirits. Allowing myself to sink into one of Community's bean bag chairs, sipping a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon it was impossible to not let the feeling of happiness wash over me and let a smile tug at my lips. I was about to be a part of an incredible night of amazing music courtesy of David Vertesi, Colleen Brown and Hannah Georgas.

The Communitea Cafe has been the setting for many memorable shows these past 5 months. Many times have I chosen the intimate setting of this cafe over the venues in Calgary. There is something about the mini roadtrip out to Canmore mixed with a palpable "home away from home" feeling. It could be the beanbag chairs, or the colossal puffed wheat squares like your mom used to bake. Either way, the warm, easy going atmosphere seems to make everyone feel like family.

David Vertesi whom some of you may know as the tall, dark and handsome bassist of the wonderful band Hey Ocean! has recently been strumming a guitar on his own and man oh man is it ever good. Vertesi is a talented songwriter, guitar player and with his honest baritone voice it's no wonder he caught my ear when he played the song All Night, All Night, All Night, the first time I heard him open for MBF. Since then he has continued to peak my musical interest with the lyrics "when gentleman say, treat her like a lady, they mean break her heart." from his song Gentleman Say. If you know what's good for you, you will move your mouse and click here.




Colleen Brown is from Edmonton, and has a voice that is incomparable to any other. Smiling genuinely as her hands moved back and forth across the black&white keys of the Nord keyboard, I couldn't keep my eyes off of her. Singing songs about love, loss and gardens she stole everyones heart in the crowd. After her set I was so spellbound and awestruck by her gift of music and by the fact that she had just willingly opened her heart to a room full of strangers, all I could offer her was a heartfelt handshake and my simple thanks. To give you an idea of this woman's talent move your mouse and click here.



Hannah Georgas. I fell for Hannah's music when I first heard her song "The Beat Stuff". The charming lyrics and Hannah's incredibly unique voice had me singing in the shower almost immediately. She fed my hunger for great music with the release of her single "Thick Skin", a hauntingly beautiful tribute to sibling tribulations.

While on tour with MBF I was incredibly lucky to get my hot hands on a copy of her latest album "This Is Good" and at the risk of sounding extremely cheesy... damn is it ever good. To fall for Hannah yourself move your mouse and click here.


So, my tip for the day. Go out and find those experiences that make your heart smile. The ones that make you truly love life and everything about it. You can be surrounded by friends or alone. Be prepared or unprepared. The only thing you need is an open heart and mind and a your beautiful smile.

Peas & Luhv,

Brie

No comments:

Post a Comment